* Some of the establishments / dishes below may not be halal. Desserts are generally the most awaited part of a meal. Simple and yet mouth-watering, most of us just can't say no to heavenly tasting desserts. If they were well prepared, it would be the perfect ending to any meal. After all, the word stressed is spelt as “desserts” backwards. What better way is there to soothe troubled feelings than to indulge in a piece of moist chocolate cake or dive into healthier desserts such as fruit salads? For the health conscious, however, moderation is the key to maintaining one's weight while being able to enjoy the occasional sweet treat. Here are six best places in Penang for great-tasting desserts to satisfy any sweet tooth. (Click on the restaurant names for addresses and OpenRice members' reviews.)Find out more best ais kacang restaurant Discover more hottest desserts restaurant
1. Penang Road Famous Teochew ChendulA crowd usually gathers here on hot afternoons to quench their thirst with the ever-famous Malaysian cuisine, cendol. This dessert stall is a family-run business. It has been in operations in Lebuh Keng Kwee, off Jalan Penang, since 1936 and they are still committed to churning out refreshing bowls of cendol every day. Locals and tourists do not mind queuing in the heat just so they can get their hands on a bowl filled with pandan-flavoured palm flour noodles, coconut milk and kidney beans that are accompanied by the sweetness of gula melaka. Each bowl costs RM2.30. Opening hours: 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., daily
3. Ais Kacang at Kafe Kek SengA meal at this coffee shop in Jalan Penang would be incomplete without a serving of ais kacang topped with homemade durian ice cream. Of course, you can actually choose your preferred ice-cream flavour but their durian flavour is the popular choice. At RM4.80, you will get a bowl of shaved ice that comes with toppings of creamy corn, red beans, multi-layered jelly and two scoops of ice cream. Young children who had enjoyed this ais kacang more than 30 years ago have been known to be constantly returning here for their favourite dessert. Opening hours: 9a.m. to 5 p.m., daily
5. Various cakes at China HouseChina House in Lebuh Pantai is currently one of the hip places to be on Penang island for Western food and its wide array of delicious cakes. The cakes are gloriously laid out along a table where patrons can pick and choose what they want to eat. You will be spoilt for choice here as they serve 30 different cakes daily. But whichever cakes you choose, it will be a taste to remember. Opening hours: 9 a.m. to midnight (Sunday to Thursday); 9 a.m. to 1 a.m. (Friday to Saturday)
6. The Sweet Temptations Shop House (Sweet-i)For traditional Chinese desserts, this outlet located in a terrace house in Jalan Nipah, is well worth a visit. Though they have various dishes available, their signature dessert is the black sesame paste with peanut-filled glutinous rice balls. They are also known for their bubur cha cha, peanut paste and herbal chicken soup. Opening hours: 3:30 to 11 p.m., daily (closed Fridays)
10 Hot & Popular Snacks in Penang You Can't Resist!
Check out these amazing snacks and desserts that are getting more and more popular in Penang!
Other Related Topics